10 Facts about Talent…
The concept of ‘Talent’ is one of the most misunderstood in modern management. Yet, because it is the #1 driver of employee engagement (as separate studies by the Corporate Leadership Council and Gallup have shown), it’s critical that managers and individuals in general have a clear idea of what talent is and how it can be applied.
Below is what can be considered a primer on Talent, based on a forthcoming talk at the Austcham / Servcorp Business Shorts:
1. Your talents are your brain’s ‘hard wires’ – the synaptic connections formed between birth to adolescence.
2. These are neither skills, intelligence or knowledge – they are not the ‘what’, but the ‘how’ – how skills, intelligence and knowledge are used
3. If you have a ‘high’ score in a talent, you will usually find using that talent easy and less stressful than if you had a ‘low’ score. If you have a ‘low’ score, it means that you have a talent in an area opposite to that talent.
4. In the Highlands Ability Battery, a high score in an ability (talent) means you can accomplish tasks using it relatively easily. A ‘low’ score means there are other tasks you can likely accomplish more easily by not being high in that talent
5. Attitudes and behaviours often follow talents. We usually love doing those things we ‘do best’ – often leading to a happier disposition. If we find a task difficult, and are asked to do it repeatedly, then our disposition may be more negative.
7. Talent is the strongest predictor of future performance
8. Skills or knowledge will be acquired much more efficiently around talent
9. Talent is the necessary basis for consistent, near-perfect performance
10. Talents reflect who you are, not what you know
If you are interested in discovering your own Talent, ideal career path and ‘natural roles’, then why not ask us about Talent Factor, our one-day programme.
For details of all our management training programmes in Thailand, please go here
Talent Technologies :: Taking your Talent to a Higher Level